No injuries in fire

No injuries were reported in a North Blair Street fire that destroyed a mobile home beside Kentucky Utilities off Main Street in Morehead. The Morehead Fire Department cleared the scene after more than 20 MFD firefighters responded to the blaze that threatened multiple homes.

A trailer was completely lost leaving a family without a home on New Year’s Day as a fire ravaged a trailer at the Cadth Mobile Home Park at 134 North Blair Avenue behind Kentucky Utilities.

The Morehead Fire Department was dispatched at about 10 p.m. on Jan. 1, to a report of a trailer on fire in the park that hosts about a dozen trailers.

According to John Northcutt, MFD assistant chief, a family of four living at the residence said the fire started above the stove area.

The family was able to safely exit the building without injury as the fire department stopped the fire from extending to singlewides just a few feet away. A few, however, did have small heat damage.

More than 20 volunteer firefighters responded to help contain the blaze.

“Right now, preliminary investigation shows that it was most likely an electrical fire that started in a cabinet above the stove,” Northcutt said. “No foul play is expected, but the investigation is still ongoing.”

A GoFundMe account has been started by a resident of the home, Rossaline Dehart.

Dehart said that she, along with 10-year-old son, got out of the home with only the clothes on their backs.

“We desperately need your help to get clothing, school supplies, and personal items to begin with,” she said. “We are also looking for new housing which will require deposits and rent in advance.”

Rossaline added she’s a humble person and doesn’t like asking for help, but the loss requires her to.

“We are in need of anything you can do to help,” she said. “This help will mean the world to me and my son and I will do my best to return my help to others when I can. Thank you so much.”

In less than five days, the campaign has raised nearly $500 (as of press time) among 13 donors.

To help with the family’s future expenses, visit www.gofundme.com/the-dehart-family.

Brad Stacy can be reached at bstacy@themoreheadnews.com or by telephone at 784-4116.